Mindful Moortops, Peak District June 2018
Location: to be confirmed
Time/Date: 11am Sunday 8th July 2018
Schedule: After meeting, introductions, safety, we will talk about mindful hiking before setting off on our hike into the Peak.
We will spend some time walking quietly and mindfully on the chosen route, taking chances to stop and discuss your experiences. You are invited to bring a notebook if you wish, and to take photos as we go. Later in the walk, we can walk and talk together whilst staying mindful of nature and maintaining a focus on the present experience; letting our worries go for a while, and enjoying the here and now.
We will aim to be out in the hills until approximately 3pm, when we will arrive back at the cars. The walk may be longer (or shorter!) depending on the weather - please advise if you need to be away at the set time of 3pm.
What you'll learn/get out of the trip:
- Introduction to, and experience of, mindfulness and walking.
- Learn more about the breath as an anchor to the present and a sense of 'home' - in the style of vietnamese Buddhism.
- A quiet, reflective trip out in the supportive company of others - hiking like you might not have experienced in a group before!
- Hassle free route guiding - takes the pressure off you; you can just soak up the mindful experience.
- A chance to explore gritstone and moortop country- inclusive and accessible approach to pace.
- Hints and tips for outdoor wellbeing
- Make new friends/contacts or book as a group and do it together.
- Spectacular views of the Peak District (hopefully!)
About your coach:
Ruth is a passionate and experienced mountain walker/trekker (and new hill runner!) with particular interests in stillness, solitude and mindful awareness of nature and the outdoors. She is a counsellor/therapist, personal and organisational coach with a growing expertise in the outdoor therapies for wellbeing and the maintenance of good mental health. Before going freelance Ruth worked for over a decade in Higher Education in teaching and learning; most latterly specialising in small-group training. As a bonus, Ruth used to be a geologist so if you ask then you might get some local rock knowledge thrown in!
Really Important Information - please read before booking:
- Whilst I will be offering route guidance, every individual is responsible for their own safety and should bring appropriate clothing, footwear, food and hydration for the trip out.
- You should be of reasonable fitness - this is not a fitness hike, but a mindful one. The pace will be slower as a result, but ideally you will have been hiking before.
- Your contribution is towards my time as a facilitator, coach and mindful guide. I am not 'mountain guiding' on this occasion, though I am experienced on the route and will take responsibility for navigation.
- Your reservation/contribution is non-refundable, but you are welcome to sell on your ticket to someone you know - just let me know who is attending in your place:-)
- The trip will only be cancelled and refunded if the weather is dangerous (i.e. lightening storms) - if it rains and you decide not to attend, then your ticket is not refundable. We will proceed in rain.
- Please note that the ethos of this walk is reflective and peaceful, and supportive of other people in that. It will not suit you if you are boisterous and looking for non-stop chatter. We will chat plenty - but there will be designated periods of quietness that you will be invited to participate in.